Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What have we been up to...

I've gotten really far behind on my blogging... been too busy with life. I do this blog to keep a kind of family journal. I never get around to making scrapbooks or writing in a real journal, but I definitely don't want to forget this precious time in our lives. My plan is to make my blog into a nicely bound Blurb book. So many things I want to do.... so little time without kids.

So what's been keeping me so busy?.... work, raising kids, and a busy church calling 
I have to admit my job being a fourth grade teacher was stressful this year. Why? Two words...crazy parents! Yes, I definitely had a whole new experience this year teaching. I was at yet again another new school this year. That makes my fifth school in seven years! I had to move around a lot to job share and get away from a scary teaching partner. Basically job sharing means you share a class with another teacher half the week so you only have to work part-time. This years partner Sara was great! We got along great and had the same teaching goals. That part of it went well. The rough part was the school. It is a Title 1 school which means most of the kids there live in poverty. Poverty just makes things harder. The kids are pretty much just like other kids except that most of them didn't have support or expectations from home to succeed. They weren't expected to do homework or get good grades so they didn't. So that meant a lot of pep talk from me the teacher, telling them to make goals in life and achieve them. I would get so frustrated at parent teacher conferences because the parents would just make excuses and say things like, "I'm not good at math so I don't expect her to be either." How frustrating it was to know that a lot of these kids were going to grow up to have lives just like their parents. Two students were actually homeless, one lived at a motel and another stayed with some friends. 
When I started teaching I was going to be that teacher who saves the children. The one like you see in inspirational movies where the teacher goes in an inner city rundown school and makes things better by inspiring kids to succeed. Well, I've learned those schools are not my cup of tea. I never knew about the parents. These parents are a different breed of people. They are hard, manipulative, and feel very entitled to be given handouts. Basically the world owes them. Now don't get me wrong this definitley is not every parent and child's description at this school. There are some amazing parents too, and some who really have been dealt some rough cards. But I couldn't believe how many of them expected me to give them all of their education. Many had little respect for teachers and were incredibly rude to me. If something happened at school they didn't like they'd come in fists flying ready for a fight before even knowing the facts. 
-This year I got yelled at because a parent had to wait a little bit because PT conferences were running behind and she had to wait past her appointment. 
-I got told I looked too young to be a teacher and that if I had more experience then maybe her son could respect me. I was to earn his respect.
-I was also told by a parent I cornered her son and told him not to wear such ragged clothes.
-I also apparently picked on a kid for being Hispanic and gave him extra work.
-After a boy was gone for four days of school (for no reason) and returned to be way behind in math. The mom told me it was my job to work with him one-on-one and catch him up during class time.
-I got a nasty phone call from a mom who had to wait a few extra minutes in her car because her son wasn't ready to leave when the bell rang to go home.
-One dad wanted proof that his daughter wasn't treating other kids nicely.
-An old toothless grandma said she would slap me if I treated her how I treated her grandson.
-A few rude emails were sent my way.
-Many fiery words were said when parents saw that their kids were flunking out of fourth grade because they never turned anything in. Interesting that they didn't take notice of this when progress reports were sent home warning them before the actual grades came out. 
I really am not a horrible teacher. I feel confident in my abilities. I just didn't back down to these parents and they didn't like it. They wanted me to just give out great grades to everyone like their 3rd grade teacher did.
Okay I'm done venting, but that's just the beginning of it. It was rough! But I did survive and I grew a backbone. And...

I'M DONE!!!!

Yes, that's right. I quit my job to officially be a stay-at-home mom and it feels sooo good!
I'm loving it and I look forward to doing some of the things that I've been wanting to do.
It doesn't feel real yet and I find myself thinking about new ideas to try in my classroom even though I don't have a classroom anymore. I guess it's just who I am... and I do love teaching (without drama).

Enough of that.... Although I do smile every Sunday night knowing I don't have to go to work the next day :) 
We've done a few fun things around our house this past spring. If you can call it a spring. It's been a bad, long, wintery like spring with lots of snow, rain, and flooding. In fact it's the end of June now and just finally warming up. I'm seriously considering moving to St. George.
Speaking of St. George we went there for a few days in February to our annual getaway to the Parade of Homes with Mark's family. We look forward to it each spring and had a great time.
Mark and Garrett in a parade home
Garrett was copying daddy in the mirror
We had to go to Snow Canyon and play in the sand dunes, even though it was chilly.

I adore these boys!
We stay in some nice condos when we're there and had to swim.
Mark and Carter with Michael and Ellie
We also went to the Hill Air Force Museum this spring with my friend Aubree and her boys
Carter was thrilled to fly this jet, in a real jet.
They both dressed up. Garrett wore a pilots jacket.
Carter was an astronaut.
Garrett had to fly the jet too.

We've also been to a lot of spring soccer games on Saturdays and practices on Thursdays.
Carter really warmed up to the game this season and has really improved.
He loves being with other boys his age.
In the last couple games he got a little too physical and pushed a kid down with his shoulder who was just about to make a goal. His coach asked him if he meant to do it and he smiled and said, "yes."
Big change for a kid who used to hold coaches hand throughout the game.
He now chases the ball (or at least the crowd of boys) and gets some good kicks in.

On Memorial Day weekend we went to visit our baby Bryant's grave like we do each year.
I want my boys to know they have another brother in heaven with grandpa.
Then we went to visit my Dad's grave. He's very loved and missed.

I now look forward to summer! My favorite season. I love the sounds and smells of summer and being outdoors in the sunshine. My boys are looking forward to it too. I'm making lots of plans.

No comments: